Dear GSWNY Members,
GSUSA announced yesterday, after four years leading the Girl Scouts of the United States (GSUSA), Sylvia Acevedo is stepping down as CEO. We are so appreciative of her legacy, including as a rocket scientist and a lifetime Girl Scout—which have helped propel the organization forward to be more relevant in the 21st century. During her four years as CEO, Sylvia transformed the organization, emboldening today’s girls to become tomorrow’s leaders.
Following Ms. Acevedo’s last day on August 15, 2020, Judith Batty, lifelong Girl Scout, Board Member, and corporate trailblazer – will be stepping up as interim CEO, the first Black CEO in the organization’s history. We are fortunate to have a national board member who can step in to guide Girl Scouts during this transition period as Judith Batty will assume the position of interim CEO as the board begins the search for its next CEO.
Read the full announcement on the Girl Scout Blog.
Please see the important announcements below and for questions, please contact Customer Care firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-837-6410. In an emergency, please call 1-800-882-9268.
It’s time to renew your membership!
Got a million things on your Back to School list? Check one off right now by renewing your Girl Scout membership! We make it easy using our online system, and we still have incentives left to give away. For girls and leaders, we’re still doing our $50 weekly gift card drawing, plus don’t forget our signature SAGE Tuition Rewards! Renew now!
Retail Item of the Week: 2020 Cookie Themed Patches
These adorable 2020 Cookie Themed Patches are PERFECT for your Girl Scout that worked hard this past cookie season. Get them before they sell out!
- Only $1 each ($6 for the set)
- Limited quantities available.
- The patches are an IN STORE EXCLUSIVE and available for Curbside Pick-up
Retail Shop Reminder/Update:
- Curbside Pick-up is open Monday & Wednesday from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the following locations: Buffalo, Jamestown, Lockport & Rochester. Email your shop orders to the email address below, a retail staff member will call you to confirm your order for payment and schedule your curbside pick-up date and time.
- All Shop locations will be CLOSED for our annual physical inventory from Monday, August 24, 2020 through Friday, September 4, 2020; we will reopen to curbside pick-up service on Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
It’s our final week of camp, reimagined!
Thank you so much to everyone who made our alternative summer camp a wonderful success! We loved spending the last six weeks delivering the camp experience to girls in their homes. Our final virtual campfire is this Thursday at 7 p.m. and all girls, whether they attended camp or not, are welcome to attend! Check out the event and register today!
New Girl Scout Badges: Civics
Passionate about civic and political issues? Maybe you’re determined to spread the word about climate change 🌎, or maybe you want to improve the lives of your city’s homeless veterans . If you want to make a difference, start by fully understanding how your government works. Informed citizens are change-makers! Commit to earning the NEW Civics badges funded by Citi Foundation.
Girl Scouting at Home
Looking for ways to stay involved with Girl Scouts? Check out our Girl Scouting at Home page today! New resources are added regularly.
Looking for more options? Head to girlscouts.org for even more at-home opportunities for your Girl Scout by grade level, and check out some of the online opportunities below:
Upcoming Virtual Events Posted
Below are our nationally produced virtual events scheduled over the next two weeks for girls, parents, volunteers, alums, and other supporters. All events are recorded and can also be accessed after the event via playback.
- August 11—Live from the International Space Station
- August 12—LIVE! Awesome Girls Read-a-long with Lizzy Rockwell of How Do You Feel
- August 12—Tips for Troop Leaders LIVE: Planning the Troop Year in an Uncertain World
- August 13—LIVE! Awesome Girls: Be a Citizen Changemaker for girls in grades 6–12
Girl Scouts Doing Good Things – Gold Award Edition
We’re highlighting the more than 30 Girl Scouts who earned their Gold Award this past year! Below are this week’s featured Girl Scouts, but you can read about all the Gold Award Girl Scouts at gswnyblog.com.
We are #GirlScoutStrong! Looking forward to talking to you next Tuesday! In the meantime, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Customer Care email@example.com or call 1-888-837-6410. In an emergency, please call 1-800-882-9268.
Categories: Member Essentials