3-17-20 Corrected 3-19-20 through verification with Health Department:
Please note all corrections are in bold.
Out of an abundance of caution, we are informing you that this evening we learned that one of our treasured Girl Scout volunteers, who lives in Genesee County, tested positive for COVID-19 today, March 17. This volunteer continues at home in self-isolation and the Genesee County Health Department reported she is recovering nicely. Please keep her in your thoughts during this difficult time.
Through our research, we have no reason to believe at this time that she contracted the virus through Girl Scout activities. Based on interviews, staff checking, and in consultation with the GCDOH, she may have had interaction with Girl Scout activities on the dates listed below.
Please know that we are following all public health guidelines to ensure we have contained her exposure. She has reported her contacts directly to the health department and again we are sharing this with our Girl Scout members to ensure that you have all of the information you need to safeguard your health and that of your family.
These are the details that we currently have about this volunteer’s involvement with Girl Scouts:
- Rochester Cookie Cupboard: 3/7 (approx. 9am-11am)
- Oatka Valley Service Unit Event: 3/8
- Rochester Service Center: 3/10 (11am-11:30am)
- Batavia Service Center: 3/11
- Rochester Cookie Cupboard: 3/13 (between 11am-11:30am)
We are supporting our volunteer in all ways practical and thank her for her communications with GSWNY volunteers and staff and her appropriate efforts to aid the Girl Scouts’ broader health as soon as possible. We wish to emphasize that she notified GSWNY right away.
GSWNY takes the health and well-being of our girls, volunteers, employees and families very seriously.
As previously announced, all Girl Scouting activities in our nine-county council were suspended Sunday, including cookie booths, delivery, meetings and programs. Our Service Centers have also been closed to the public since March 16.
Our staff team will still be supporting members virtually through our Customer Care line at: 1.888.837.6410 and by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to make you aware of the following links to resources for your own health:
- Genesee County Department of Health https://www.co.genesee.ny.us/departments/health/
- Monroe County Department of Health https://www2.monroecounty.gov/health-coronavirus
- New York State Health Department https://www.health.ny.gov/
- Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/
- All other New York State County Health Departments: https://www.health.ny.gov/contact/contact_information/
We’re all working together, inside Girl Scouting and outside it, to do all we can to protect and support each other.
Yours in Girl Scouting,
CEO, Girl Scouts of Western New York